A Brief Introduction to Handheld Vacuum Cleaners
As a small and lightweight cleaning devices, handheld vacuums are typically battery powered. They are designed in a manner that allows them to be used alongside the larger, upright vacuum cleaners. If you wish to clean areas that a heavy, large, electrical upright cleaner will not be able to access- staircase and upholstery of your car are some likely examples- then the handheld vacuums make for the ideal choice.
Okay, so we have understood the basic concept behind choosing a handheld cleaner. Now comes the most important question: How to pick the best lightweight vacuum for your floors. Learning to choose one such cleaning device is a matter that is governed purely by such factors as ease of operation, power, functionality, and budget.
Tips to Help You Make The Right Choice
If you have to clean up a mess from spot that is hard-to-access, then think no further than a handheld vacuum cleaner. Though simple to use, a number of features regarding their application need to be kept in mind before purchasing one of these cleaners. Here we take a look at some of the tips that will help you buy a handheld cleaning device that is best suited for your purpose.
- Take into consideration the run-time of the product: A rechargeable battery that is good enough to provide a backup of only fifteen to twenty minutes. Before you go ahead and purchase one, go through the online manual and check how long it will provide you charge backup. You know how long it takes for your chores to be completed so no one can determine better if the time period is sufficient or not. If the answer is in the negative, consider going for the purchase of a corded model.
- Do a thorough check of the various switches: You get only one control with most of the handheld vacuum cleaners- the power switch. However, on occasions you may be required to hold it down while working. This can be really tiring and inconvenient, and also cause issues for those who have dexterity concerns. If you intend to use the vacuum cleaner for doing more than just quick pick-ups, try working with a model that offers you the option of variable speeds.
- Test to see if the weight and size suits you: If it is possible, try out the handheld vacuum at the store from where you are buying. Make sure it gives you a perfectly comfortable feeling and does not put unnecessary strain on your wrists.
- See if there are any helpful attachments: With some of the handheld vacuum cleaner models, you will get rotating brushes which are a great option for picking up pet hair and cleaning carpets. Crevice tools, dusting brushes, or short accessory hoses with which you can reach and clean under the furnitures are also nice attachments to have around.
- Last but not the least comes the waste container: The waste containers are available in a wide range of shapes and sizes. While you won’t be required to empty the large containers too often, it is still advisable that you opt for ones that can be removed with ease. Moreover, a clear container also gives you the perfect idea as to when you need to clear it out.
You have been a part of many surveys, why not conduct one for your benefit. Before you actually settle for a particular handheld vacuum cleaner, have a look through what is available in the market and determine which product best suits your requirements. Assemble the attachments and see if they make for a comfortable fit. Only when you find the product ticking all the check boxes should you go ahead with its purchase.
While stick vacuum cleaners are traditionally not as powerful as upright cleaners, they are great additions to your cleaning tools because they offer convenience during regular light cleaning exercises. However, innovation in vacuum cleaning technology has resulted in the introduction of stick vacuums that offer suction capabilities that are in line with their upright alternatives. Let’s look at the advantages of buying a stick vacuum cleaner.
There is no better tool to use for cleaning small messes around your home than a stick vacuum. Moving it from place to place is very easy, a feature enabled by its light weight design. It is worth noting that you can easily find one that weighs 4 pounds or less.
A majority of these vacuums are cordless. This feature comes in handy when you need to clean spots located in different areas of a room or different rooms in your home because it makes movement easy. Concerns over the length of battery life have been addressed exhaustively as you can now find vacuums that can operate for 40 to 60 minutes on a single charge.
One of the most notable advantages is its compact design. It, therefore, doesn’t take up a lot of your storage space, which makes it easy to keep your home tidy. One notable feature is the incorporation of folding or telescoping handles, which allows you to store the cleaner in shelves.
The popularity of stick vacuums has resulted in a lot of research on ways to make cleaning easier, faster and safer. As a result, there have been remarkable improvements that include:
- The ability to convert them into hand vacuums.
- Use of cyclonic cleaning or Hoover WindTunnel technology for enhanced suction power.
- HEPA filtration systems to trap tiny particles while cleaning.
- Inclusion of brushbars for deeper cleaning of carpets.
Vacuuming is a task that has long been associated with back pain and other joint problems. This is not the case with these types of gadgets as they are height adjustable. Consequently, you don’t have to bend over too much during cleaning, which is good for your spine.
Unlike upright vacuums that roar while cleaning, stick alternatives have the distinct advantage of quiet operation. This feature allows you to clean your home any time you desire because you don’t have to worry about waking the baby or disrupting other members of your family.
These cleaning tools are not as pricey as other alternatives. This is due a combination of factors such as compact design and the use of less powerful motors. You can now own one of these amazing cleaners for cleaning your college dorm or small apartment as the price is just right for your budget.
The aforementioned benefits clearly speak for themselves. So, if you are looking for an affordable and convenient option for light cleaning around your home, you now have an idea what you should use. Though not as powerful for deep clean exercises on carpets, these types of vacuums will go a long way in ensuring that your home is always clean.
Removing pet hair, dirt and other debris from carpets or hard floor is a perpetual, hair-tearing task. Vacuuming is a frustrating part of our routine we all wish to avoid.
We fret about the pet hair and dander still present after cleaning. And then, we worry about finding a place for the vacuum in our cupboards.
Fortunately, stick vacuums are available to rid us of such annoyances. But what should you look for in a good stick vacuum? Which are the reliable cleaners on the market?
What to look for in a good stick vacuum
- Affordability – A good stick vacuum should be cost-friendly and be good value for your money.
- Durability – Stick vacuums should be durable. Being lighter and more flexible, we are concerned about their parts malfunctioning. Manufacturers should make spare parts available.
- Efficiency – A good stick vacuum should remove your pets annoying hair. It aggravates you to complete a vacuuming task, then find pet hairs still stuck to your carpet.
- Portable, mobile and not difficult to store – The main purpose of purchasing a stick vacuum is to ease movement. A heavy stick vacuum is harder to maneuver.
We turn to such cleaners for easy storage. Stick vacuums should not take up too much space in your kitchen cupboard.
Good stick vacuums for removing pet hair
With stick vacuums flooding the market, which should you use? Here are a few reliable choices.
1. Hoover Linx Cordless Stick Vacuum cleaner
The Hoover Linx Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner:
- Is cordless and bagless
- Has an interchangeable 18-volt ion Lithium battery, accompanied by an Energy Star battery charger
- Has a motorized power brush
- Comes with a batch of useful accessories
- Measures 11 by 8 by 42 inches
- Incorporates Hoover’s WindTunnel Technology
- Has a low profile base
- Includes a battery fuel gauge
- Is eco-friendly
The cordless feature of the Hoover Linx ensures portability. You don’t have to lug long, cumbersome cords around. The low profile feature allows you to vacuum under furniture.
Though this stick vacuum requires charging, there’s no need to worry about running out of power. The dynamic 18-volt Ion, Lithium battery allows you to use it for a longer duration. Charge it easily with the Energy Star battery charger. Besides, it uses Hoover’s patented WindTunnel Technology.
It is a boon for pet owners. A motorized power brush removes stubborn hair efficiently from carpets and hard floors. Other accessories, such as edge cleaning bristles, lift pet hair from inaccessible areas.
Buyers are generally satisfied with this cleaner, reporting a longer-than-average run time. They also report that the edge cleaning bristles are effective for removing pet hair. This vacuum is eco-friendly and has a two-phase filtration system that reduces allergens, so those with asthma need not fear.
A minor drawback of this vacuum is that the nozzle does not swivel.
2. The Eureka Easy Clean 2-in-1 169 B
The Eureka Easy Clean 169B:
- Has a removable brush roll
- Comes with a telescopic handle
- Has a ten inch cleaning path
- Stands upright without support
- Has a washable filter
This handy cleaner is highly affordable at $24.99 on the Amazon website. It has a removable brush roll that lifts pet hair.
Use the telescopic handle to peek at inaccessible places. The ten-inch cleaning path is a substantial area.
A draw of this cleaner is that it stands without support. You won’t have to search madly for a place to lean it against.
Users report that it performs well on small carpets and completes simple cleaning tasks well. The washable filter is a plus.
However, some report that it does not draw debris well from carpets.
3. Bissell PowerEdge Pet Hard Floor Corded Vacuum
This reliable cleaner:
- Is V-shaped
- Has a Swivel Head
- Comes with an easy-to-empty dirt cup
- Has a 20-inch power cord
This vacuum works on larger and finer debris. The larger part of this V-shaped cleaner draws debris to the suction path while the angled part of the V captures finer particles.
The swivel head and 20-inch power cord allow you to maneuver it easily. Battling dust is unnecessary with the easy-to-empty dirt cup.
Though no attachments are included, it cleans difficult areas effortlessly. This vacuum is also highly affordable at only $44.99.
Users report that it is noisier than most vacuums, though it is lightweight and easy to maneuver. It removes pet hair efficiently from tight spaces.
4. Shark Navigator Freestyle Cordless Stick Vacuum
This dynamic vacuum:
- Is cordless
- Has swivel steering
- Has two-speed settings
- Comes with a precision charger
This vacuum is highly portable, being cordless. Swivel steering allows you to move it anywhere.
Two-speed settings, optimized for hard floors and carpets, enable you to lift pet hair off both.
Though it runs on a battery, the run time of this vacuum is long. There’s no need to worry about finishing only half of your vacuuming.
Customers say that it lifts pet hair and kitty litter efficiently. A drawback is that it is more expensive at $116.99 on Amazon. It does not come with any attachments.
If cost worries you, the Eureka Easy Clean 169B is highly affordable at only $24.99.
If peak efficiency is what you are looking for, try the Hoover Linx. Though more expensive, the WIndTunnel technology and powerful Lithium batteries ensure that it is a handy tool to add to your kitchen arsenal.
For a thorough clean, choose the Bissell PowerEdge. Its V-shaped design cleans hard-to-reach areas.
If you want a vacuum that cleans both hard floors and carpets well, try the Shark Navigator Freestyle. The two-speed settings allow you to remove pet hair off both effectively. To learn more about how to pick a proper pet vacuum for cleaning pet hair, check out the pet vacuum reviews at BPVReviews.
When I decided to buy a vacuum cleaner I wanted the best of the best, so I scoured the internet reading every review I could find before testing them out in stores.
This is a list of the top 3 best rated vacuums that I found to be worth the investment.
Miele S2121 Olympus
The Olympus is a canister vacuum with a list price of approximately $360. At 16 pounds it is surprisingly lightweight and its hose has a 29.5 foot cleaning radius (in terms of reach).
Additionally it allows for up to 6 levels of suction power which can be adjusted using a rotary dial. Its attachments include-
- Dusting brush, crevice and upholstery tool.
- A combination floor tool which can be used on carpets and bare floors.
- A stainless steel telescopic wand.
It is powered by Miele’s own ‘Vortex Motor System’ with an output of 1200 watts and in spite of all this power it is very quiet. What’s even better is that it comes equipped with automatic shut-off features for safety.
Other features include a storage bracket on the side of the vacuum for its attachments which saves space and separate 7 year warranties for both the motor and the body.
Bissell CleanView 9595
At $79, this is one of the cheapest handheld vacuums weighing in at 18 pounds. It’s exceptionally powerful, and could even be considered one of the best portable vacuum cleaners currently available at this price. Unlike the Olympus, this machine from Bissell comes with an innovative brush tool which sucks up more dirt faster.
The cyclonic action of this vacuum ensures that the filter never gets blocked which in turn allows for steady suction power during use. Its dust tank is transparent so you know when it’s time to empty it and its filter is easy to detach and wash.
The package includes the following attachments-
- Extension wand.
- Crevice tool.
- Dusting brush.
- 6 foot hose which is expandable.
Furthermore its cord is 25 feet long which makes moving around a room simple. The entire machine also comes with a two year limited warranty.
Hoover WindTunnel T-Series UH70120
Like the BISSELL mentioned above, the WindTunnel is also a handheld vacuum cleaner with a transparent dust cup so you know when it is time to clean it. It also costs a fraction more than the CleanView at $99.
While the Bissell uses Cyclone Technology to ensure steady suction, this device uses WindTunnel Technology to achieve the same. Its cord is longer at 27 feet, than the former machine and unlike either of the other two machines it incorporates HEPA technology which can suck up almost 99% of allergens.
While the suction power on this machine cannot be adjusted its height can be increased by 5 points. The package also includes-
- Crevice tool.
- Dusting or upholstery brush.
- Extension wand.
- Powered hand tool.
This vacuum by Hoover is also the heaviest at 23 pounds and comes with a 2 year warranty.
In this review, price is certainly not a factor because even though the Miele vacuum cleaner is quite expensive it is by no means the best among these vacuums. I agree with Cleaniatric on this and consider all three of these vacuums to be at par with each other, which is why these devices are among the best rated vacuums currently available in terms of suction power, performance and design.
Your ultimate decision to purchase one of them therefore should be based on differences in weight and certain specifications as well as your own budget.
Before you even consider buying a handheld device, or a full sized vacuum for that matter, you should read as much about it as possible. Reviews, customer feedback, and comparison sites are a good place to start.
Wooden floors give a rustic and appealing manifestation to the room. It requires skill to install wooden floor correctly. A faulty installation could end up in damaged floor and filthy appearance. IIt needs professional approach and careful working.
There are a few points to ponder:
- Always use good quality material for great results.
- Take accurate measurements.
- Buy prepackaged floors to make the task simple.
- Keep the wooden floor in the home for some time to adjust with the surroundings. Remember, it is an important point!
- Make the concrete floor clean and smooth. Level it properly by filling the low spots and grinding off the high ones. Sand it for great finish.
- Timber board
- Drills, saw, hammers, nails and fitting tool
- Adhesive tape
- Vapor barrier
- Measuring tape
- Edge blocks and space blocks
Steps to lay the floor
- Preparing the boards: As a general rule, always lay the boards in the direction of the longest straight wall. If you have a square room, then follow the direction of light for maximum brightness in the room. Let the boards remain there for one or two days to get acquainted with the surroundings. Remove any inwards-opening doors to make the task simple. Remove the old skirting boards, if you have any. You will have to put new ones after completing the flooring.
- Install the vapor barrier: Vapor barriers or vapor retarders prevent the moisture reaching to the wooden floor. Asphalt and Polyethylene are the best material. Cover the concrete slab evenly with a layer of cut-back cold mastic and let it remain undisturbed for a few hours. Apply a second coat to make the surface even. If you are using polyethylene, then it is better to use 4 or 6 mm film and extend it under the board on all sides. Overlap it properly to cover entire area. For humid areas, it is suggested coating primer on the wooden boards before installing. Put adhesive tapes on the joints and edges to make them air-tight.
- Lay the floor: Put the plastic spacer along the walls to allow expansion due to changes in humidity. Make sure that the spacer is removed after the installation. Start from the corner and lay the first row. The end of the boards are usually tongued and grooved. Fix them according to the instruction manual. You have to either nail them or glue them. Complete entire row by cutting the last board. Lay the second row by fixing all sides. Put pressure towards the walls where you have put plastic spacer. Make sure that each joint is tightened properly. Laying the last row is the trickiest task. Measure the gap between the edge of adjacent board and the wall. Cut the boards of 10 mm less width. Fit the boards and fit them along the length. Use fitting tools wherever required.
Enjoy the grace and beauty of a wooden floor even if you have built the home on concrete slab. Follow the above-mentioned tips make the floor classy and chic! For additional tips on how to properly vacuum a hardwood floor and maintain it’s beauty for years to come, visit http://www.topsinnj.com.